Submitting a Complaint

To file a complaint about police officer conduct, you must use the Law Enforcement Complaints Agency (LECA) form  by submitting a completed form that can be found on the LECA website. Note that complaints may not be considered if filed more than six months after the incident.

Agency Contact Guide

For complaints regarding police officer misconduct:

For complaints related to:

  • Inadequate or ineffective policing
  • Police service board member misconduct
  • Other policing complaints (e.g., non-compliance with CSPA)
  • Contact: Inspectorate of Policing

For issues with:

For complaints about Special Constables:

Types of Complaints

  • Policies or services provided by the South Simcoe Police Service
  • Conduct of a police officer from the South Simcoe Police Service

Information to Include in Your Complaint

In addition to your full contact information (name, address, phone number) and date of birth, please include:

Additional Assistance

  • Community Organizations: Many offer help with filing complaints and provide translation services.
  • Legal Assistance: Not required, but a lawyer or legal clinic can offer advice and help.
  • Police Stations: You can get assistance at any regional, municipal, or provincial police station.

Discipline Hearings

For details on disciplinary procedures, review the Community Safety and Policing Act. Visit the Tribunals Ontario website for more information.