Request for Reconsideration
The South Simcoe Police Service offers a Reconsideration Process to applicants who have received a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC). This process is not available for the Criminal Record Check or the Criminal and Judicial Matters Check.
If you wish to request the removal or amendment of information listed on your Police Record Check you may apply as follows:
- The applicant shall complete the Reconsideration Request form available online and at one of the South Simcoe Police Service locations.
- The reconsideration request must state the specific reason(s) why the South Simcoe Police Service should reconsider its decision to include information relating to non-conviction dispositions.
- Convictions are not able to be reconsidered.
- A maximum of five pages of supporting documentation may be included with your request.
- No oral representations or hearings will take place.
- The applicant must submit the request form with a $30 application fee + HST = $33.90 payable by cash, debit or certified cheque.
- The fee is not refundable
- The completed request form, supporting documentation and the fee may be dropped off at one of the South Simcoe Police locations or mailed to:
Record Check Reconsideration
South Simcoe Police Service
2137 Innisfil Beach Road,
Innisfil, ON L9S 1A2
- Requests for reconsideration must be made in writing within 35 days of the completion of the applicant’s Police Record Check.
A: Reconsideration Process
The following will, if applicable, be considered in the reconsideration process:
- The applicant’s written submission and supporting documentation:
- Whether the information meets the criteria for release as outlined on the CRC, CJMC, VSC forms or the OACP Guideline for Police Record Checks;
- Nature and circumstances of the incident based on both the applicant’s submission and police/Crown notes;
- Date of incident and length of time that has passed;
- The age of the applicant at the time of the incident;
- Police records, investigating officer input and Crown input;
- All entries in the applicant’s criminal record file and the nature of these entries;
- Whether occurrences or police contacts show a pattern of behaviour (i.e., domestic disputes, threats of violence, assaults, sexual or predatory behaviour, etc.);
- Whether the requester continues to present a substantial risk to the community;
- Any other relevant information.
B: Criminal Dispositions
If you have concerns regarding criminal dispositions that have been included on your Police Record Check, refer to our brochure File Closure of Fingerprints and Dispositions. Criminal convictions cannot be reconsidered in this process.
C: Copies of Police Reports
There may be times when obtaining a copy of a police report will assist you in recalling the event or in presenting the information on your Police Record Check to your employer. If you need to obtain a copy of a police report, submit an Access/Correction Request.
D: Approved Reconsideration
Once the application is received it will be reviewed by the Waterloo Regional Police Service’s Reconsideration Panel within 30 days to determine if it meets the criteria for reconsideration. If approval to remove or amend the information in question is granted, the applicant will be contacted to pick up a new Police Record Check, at no additional cost. A letter confirming the Reconsideration Panel’s decision will be sent to the applicant.
E: Denied Reconsideration
If the Reconsideration Panel determines that all or part of the request should be denied, a letter of denial will be sent to the applicant. The letter will state why the request was denied unless stating the reason for denial would jeopardize an on-going or open investigation or intelligence gathering, potentially endanger a person or property, be contrary to a privilege or be against public policy (i.e., fall under public immunity privilege).
F: Extension of Timelines
If, in extenuating circumstances, the Waterloo Regional Police Service cannot meet the timelines indicated in this process, the applicant will be notified of the applicable extensions as required.